We provide grants for the linguistic documentation of endangered languages worldwide. Anybody with qualifications in linguistic language documentation can apply as we have no restrictions on the nationality of the applicant or on the location of the host institution. We do not fund revitalisation projects.
To apply to our programme you need to be affiliated with a host institution such as a university, which is a registered entity and has experience in administering grants. You should have experience in modern linguistic language documentation. For examples of the types of projects we fund, please visit our project pages. See also our online digital Endangered Languages Archive for documentary collections that have resulted from our projects we have funded.
We run one grant cycle per year. The grant cycle opens on October 15th and closes on January 15th each year. Notification of results is by June 15th. To apply for one of four grant types you need to complete the online application form. The online system will open on October 15th of each year when the grant cycle opens. For each grant type an information pack will be made available when the annual grant cycle opens.
Every application is reviewed and evaluated by an international expert group and independent reviewers specialised in the linguistic area and in language documentation. Attention is especially paid to these criteria:
• the degree of endangerment of the language(s) and the urgency of the documentation
• the nature of the project as a contribution to language documentation
• the training and preparation of the applicant(s) for the proposed project
• the goals of the project and whether they can be realistically achieved
• a clear methodology for project work
• a clear justification of equipment in relation to the methodology
• attention to ethical issues
• attention to archiving and the open access requirement
• clear evidence of institutional support (what the institution will provide for you).
We offer four types of grants. See below for the grant types available. Download the information pack and read it carefully. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any questions regarding applications.